Thursday, November 01, 2007

Golf for Software Engineers

I've recently decided to take up playing Golf (Mainly because both my brother, father and A LOT of people I work with play so I though I'd have a go too). The main thing I've noticed about this decision is not anything to do with the game it's self but the manner in which I have decided to go about taking it up.
I think as a logical minded person and software engineer at heart, I don't have the mentality to just think "Sure, what the hell I'll give it a go". No, the first thing I decided to do when I took this sport up was research, research, research. I researched the kind of clubs I was using, the kinds of clubs I should be using, I read dozens of articles on how to hold, swing and care for clubs, I researched golf shoes and what to look for in them, I even researched the type of cloths that could be worn that could benefit my "swing"!!
Only when all this was done did I allow my self to hit the Driving Range, it soon occurred to me that I still needed more research....
After another week of pure reading, with my clubs left firmly in the jeep I hit the driving range again and this time I though of it like taking up programming for the first time, I didn't jump in and write some swanky application, I wrote "Hello World" a nice simple test to get me used to some syntax and more import get my confidence up. In the end this is also the approach I took with Golf, I went to the driving range with one club (my Pitching Wedge) got 100 balls and just kept on hitting them, starting at a very basic swing then adding to it over and over....

I think most people in the IT industry have this approach to most things in life, were calculated, logical and generally like to put meaning and understanding behind the things we do. Personally I don’t think it's a bad thing, just a time consuming thing.

PS, The golf still needs more research 8(

No comments: